Rabbit-Proof Fence (Dir. Phillip Noyce)

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 29 18:10:48 PST 2002

I'm glad to hear this film has got a cinema release in the US. The movie in itself has a huge historical significance here in Western Australia (and in Australia more generally). It's effectiveness has been demonstrated by the silence of the deniers of historical fact.

I think Holden's review is fair. However, my main area of research at the moment is state-labour interaction in Colonial Western Australia and I would stress that the use of Aborigines as "as domestic servants and farm laborers", not to mention a wide range of other occupations, occurred long before the policy of removing "half castes", which appears in retrospect as having been aimed mainly at subduing and disciplining geographically (but not economically) marginal populations. I also have to say I'm surprised by Holden's use of the term "mixed-race", which no Aborigines or many other Australians would ever use now.

In regard to the movie itself, I was a bit disappointed by the use of a supernatural element towards and in the climax, which actually undermines the amazing achievement of those young girls in walking 1,200 miles, through mostly desert country. The final scene, an interview with some of the actual people depicted, is a brilliant touch. There are a few minor anachronisms caused by the story being shot in another part of Australia, but that was to be expected. Otherwise it's understated, beautifully shot and very watchable. David Gulpilil's performance is a highlight.