lbo-talk-digest V1 #6775

billbartlett at dodo.com.au billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Tue Oct 1 16:33:23 PDT 2002

catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au wrote:

>Is that right?
>Well we might be anti-scab, but we're very pro "the honest working man" and "a fair day's pay for a fair day's work" as well.

Have you ever read the fine print on that "fair day's work" clause in the social contract? The bosses have been trying to negotiate that for a long time.

The "honest working man" is not, of course, intended to slanderously ascribe any actual trustworthyness to the working man in question. "Honest" here is in the sense of "honest to goodness", as in genuine. As opposed to a fake working man, such as a politician. The latter being distinguished by the fact that they don't feel any need to steal everything that isn't nailed down from their workplace.

> Except, of course, when we're opposed to doing "the boss" any favours. Or when we're taking up rhetorics of "self-empowerment" through work.

That's a new one on me. I'm probably out of touch. ;-)

> Or, yes, taking up the Australian right to bludge. Attitudes to work and work conditions are pretty damned complex as far as I can see, and the only thing that would be "un-Australian" would be not thinking the government should do something about it.

The only thing truly "un-Australian" is not watching sport on the tele. (Though attending the game is an acceptable excuse.) Come to think of it, that last electrician I called, promised to come around last Saturday, AFL Grand Final day, HOW GULLIBLE CAN I GET?

Nevertheless I just can't resist the temptation to describe traits I personally disapprove of, as "un-Australian". If I say it quick, I can often get away with it, infuriating my class enemies. It seems to conjure up a frightening image of people who don't aren't footy fans and strong men just go weak at the knees and quickly cave in.

It won't work with people who don't care about being un-Australian. You probably aren't a footy fan either. ;-)

Any relation to the Driscolls in Tassie?

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas