Workers of the world...relax

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 1 11:33:58 PDT 2002

Miles Jackson wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > billbartlett at dodo.com.au wrote:
> >
> > >I'm doing my bit, I refuse to work at all.
> >
> > Sorry to sound like a scold, but what if everyone did that, young
> > man? Who produces the resources you buy with your dole check?
> >
> > Doug
>
> Moreover: what a strangely capitalist view of work. Work is--
> only what you're paid for? What, Bill, you do no socially
> useful labor at all?

I've always thought that Arendt's distinction between work and labor has a lot to recommend it. (Actually, Engels made the distinction when he noted that in English there is always a tendency to give the concrete thing a germanic name and the abstraction a latin name.) It's also implicit in both the labor theory of value and in Marx's comparison of bee and architect.

Carrol