ILWU dockworkers locked out on west coast

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Oct 1 17:20:53 PDT 2002

Why is it that when the ILWU threatens to strike, that's a threat to national security (or Christmas, same thing) but when the PMA locks them out it's suddenly an issue of private property rights? Oh, wait, I know the answer.

Jenny Brown

I was going to write this up for the list, but figured somebody else would mentioned it. All the other west coast ports are on strike, but the Oakland locals put on a slow down so the PMA was paying for getting nothing done and locked them out. Forcing the PMA into a lockdown was a tactic to avoid the national security issue (Oakland, I think is the primary port for military shipping) and dodge the WH threats. Or at least that is my theory. Either way, at the moment nothing is moving.

What I would like to dream of is some kind of solidarity between the anti-war, anti-imperialism groups and the ILWU to shut the whole fucking country down. Let Bush smoke and fume on over Iraq, all he wants.

I already decided that if the GW launches a war, I'll be walking off the job and go find a demo to join.

Well, it's a nice thought anyway...

Chuck Grimes