workers of the world...relax

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 1 19:53:12 PDT 2002

>At 12:58 AM 10/01/2002 -0400, Justin wrote:
>> >2) Because we're all "individuals" and feel that this "individualism" is
>> >threatened when we get together to fight for a common cause?
>>
>>No doubt, but this is a idealist explanation.
>
>Why? The identification with individualism is given by the culture;
>understanding the limitations of that identification and having the
>imagination to see how it could be otherwise is not automatic. ...but
>mainly, I don't understand how this is "idealist."

Because it starts from ideas in the head rather than materail/institutional interests. To quote from The Great Helmsman, or to paraphrase, "Where (in)correct ideas come from? Are they innate in the mind? To they fall from the sky?" But I reveal my shady past . . . Still, the old tyrant wasn't a fool about these things.

>> >3) Because mindless overwork is easier than facing the "void"?
>> >

>>Waxing Heideggerian, are we, Joanne? Is the void less empty in France and
>>Germany?
>
>Yeah, it is a bit. Europe is getting more and more "Americanized"...but
>again, there are cultural differences. The point of life in Europe is still
>to live; work is a means not an end. The U.S. is much more
>work-ethic-accomplishment-driven and also there's more of a social
>void...outside of work. Makes the void bigger.

You are so European, it's part of why I adore you.

>>Have I told you that you are perfectly wonderful, brilliant, witty, and
>>adorable, and probably beautiful too, though I have never seen you?
>
>Don't tempt me now:) Haven't had a boyfriend in seven years. As for what I
>look like, ask Doug or Gordon Fitch.

Ah, well, I'm not looking, just flirting. Smooches!

jks