Tabloids and Taliqueers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 1 19:55:51 PDT 2002

"Peter K." wrote:

> To answer Yoshie and others who wonder what's so funny about it,

That wasn't my question -- since I've never seen it _or_ CNN or any other TV newscast since about 1964. (Incidentally, I believe someone did some research -- perhaps mentioned on this list -- that suggested those who watched TV news were less informed on events than those who did not.???) My question dealt with why the existence of something funny and entertaining should be such a big deal. There is lots of it around. The comments on this show make it sound as rare an achievement as _Lear_ or _The Winter's Tale_ or a cold drink of water in Death Valley. I don't see any reason anyone shouldn't watch whatever they find entertaining, but why the big fuss?

Carrol