Anti-Imperialism 101 Re: Hitchens quits Nation

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Oct 1 23:33:09 PDT 2002

Justin wrote:
> >We've had this discussion before. Laws don't command unconditional
> >respect.
>
> No shit.

Then don't take an "Oh gosh, I guess I'm just a believer in international law and order" line.

> >Gee. What a wonderful charter: if a government decides to brutalize it's
> >own people, it'll do so with the knowledge that forcible intervention
from
> >outside isn't going to ensue.
>
> Quite right. And this has an excellent utilitarian justification. It
> preserves the peace.

OK. Are you then willing to grant that, so as to best preserve the peace, Nazi Germany should've been left alone if it had merely killed it's own Jews and refrained from attacking other nations?

> A call that is not yours to make.

To act as an agent on the behalf of those who cannot effectuate their desires is sometimes a very good thing.

> Courese not, but that fact doesn't give it the right to impose its way all
> over the earth, and its very grave deficiencies make high-mindedness a lot
> less credible. Undoubtedly the US doesn't givea shit for Saddam's evil,
> since it is largely responsible for it, but caresa lot about oil and
global
> military strategic power, which it's not so great to have concentrated in
> the unilateral hand of trigger happy killers loike the Bushies.

Look, I have my doubts. But they're not grounded in the belief that the US can never be an effective agent for change via forceful intervention. Matter of fact, I think we've seen it happen a few times before.

> Recall that I'm a liberal as well as a leftist. I'm trying to preserve our
> good name against the likes of you and Brad.

Maybe we should call in John Rawls to settle the issue :)

All best, Luke