Workers of the world...relax

billbartlett at dodo.com.au billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Wed Oct 2 21:43:27 PDT 2002

Miles Jackson wrote:

> > >I'm doing my bit, I refuse to work at all.
>>
>> Sorry to sound like a scold, but what if everyone did that, young
>> man? Who produces the resources you buy with your dole check?
>>
>> Doug
>
>Moreover: what a strangely capitalist view of work. Work is--
>only what you're paid for? What, Bill, you do no socially
>useful labor at all?

I didn't mean that literally, I meant I refuse to work for a living. Even that is an exaggeration of course, since I'd obviously be open to an offer too good to refuse.

As to your question, perhaps I do some voluntary work, that isn't the point. The point is I don't feel any need to justify my existence on that basis. My right to exist is an entirely different issue to whether or not I contribute to society.

Perhaps my idiosyncratic battle for that very principle might even be considered socially-useful work. Perhaps other things I choose to do might likewise be considered socially useful. But as far as I'm concerned there is no connection between that and my right to exist and I refuse to dignify the presumed connection with a straight answer.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas