Secret ballots (The nature of anarchism etc.)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 2 08:27:00 PDT 2002

>Justin Schwartz wrote:
>
> >>For instance, the US already has constitutional guarantees of freedom of
>political speech. But you still find it necessary to have secret voting.
>Why is that?
> >
> >No, we do not find it necessary. It's a right, not a requirement.
>
>A RIGHT! You say it is a RIGHT to cower behind a curtain like a rabbit,
>furtively casting your ballot in secret!!!! A RIGHT to hide your opinions
>from the prying eyes of employers and neighbours!!!

Yes it is, and an important one too. There are things that don't have to be justified to all, and a private individual's political nd policy beliefs are among these. I am am ardent civil libertarian, and I would fight to the death a proposal to have a nonsecret ballot, not mainly because people would be subject to retaliation--in a modern society, your boss usually has better things to do do than to find out how his employees (in different areas of town) voted--but because people shouldn't have to justify their deepest convictions if they don't want to. You don't have to exercise taht right and many don't; people will wear campaugn buttons, engage in political discussions, and such. Butthey shouldn't be requiredto, as on your version. And you purport to be a fan of free speech. Shame on you. There is also a freedom NOT to speak aspect of free speech.

jks