The Process of Creating a Ruin

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed Oct 2 18:05:25 PDT 2002

Eric Darton:
> World Trade Center's demise -- literally and economically
> Viewed from this perspective, the Port Authority ceases to exist as a
> public institution created to address the New York region's economic
> and social needs and becomes instead an assemblage of assets, to be
> broken up according to the dictates of the market. But "capturing"
> the value of such assets, of course, is predicated upon the
> dismemberment of the whole.

Curiously, the destruction of the World Trade Center may eventuate in the political will to rebuild something like it. The modest proposals put forward by the Port Authority were despised by the locals as being "like Albany" -- what a total put-down!

My impression has been that New York City was a lot closer to being sold for scrap in 1965 than in 1995.

-- Gordon