Workers of the world...relax

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 2 19:48:01 PDT 2002

> >Moreover: what a strangely capitalist view of work. Work is--
>>only what you're paid for? What, Bill, you do no socially
>>useful labor at all?
>
>I didn't mean that literally, I meant I refuse to work for a living.
>Even that is an exaggeration of course, since I'd obviously be open
>to an offer too good to refuse.
>
>As to your question, perhaps I do some voluntary work, that isn't
>the point. The point is I don't feel any need to justify my
>existence on that basis. My right to exist is an entirely different
>issue to whether or not I contribute to society.
>
>Perhaps my idiosyncratic battle for that very principle might even
>be considered socially-useful work. Perhaps other things I choose to
>do might likewise be considered socially useful. But as far as I'm
>concerned there is no connection between that and my right to exist
>and I refuse to dignify the presumed connection with a straight
>answer.
>
>Bill Bartlett

Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. If then God so clothe the grass, which is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith? And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind. For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things. But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you. (Luke 12:27-31)

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. (Matt. 6:34) -- Yoshie