Left wing blogs

Kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Fri Oct 4 15:08:54 PDT 2002

>Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>

>>First is cognitive makeup required for programming. Contrary to the
>>frequently expressed claims to creativity - computer programming
>>involves meticulous following of conventional rules to the letter, and
>>routinization of every task.

try working with a few programmers and you'll see that it involves a significant amount of creativity. when they have a problem, they get right in the "zone", the same kind of creative zone I get into when I'm on a roll writing. i can't do anything else or think of anything else. they solve problems in their dreams and while doing something else. just as with writing, there is a routine. much of it is about memorization. however, while there are rules in programming, just as with writing, it's what you do with them is what makes it creative.

also, most of the programmers i know--the good ones--are creative either with art or music. in fact, as i recall there is a significant relationship between affinity for music and cryptography.

kelley