Libertarian Blue Boy

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Fri Oct 4 15:35:41 PDT 2002

In a message dated 10/4/02 2:13:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ap888 at lafn.org writes:

> Dorene,
>

> What the **** do large eyebrows have to do with politics?
> This is assish to the ninth degree.
> marta

Marta

Thank you, I think. Let me restate my points:

This guy, Mr Kelleher, the guy with the huge eyebrows, has been running singlehandedly for one office after another SINCE I WAS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL in MT. ALL I can remember about his many campaigns, besides the number of them and his single-mindedness, is the eyebrows. That alone says something I THINK about his credibility as a candidate. I do not watch debates; maybe he adds a certain "je ne sais quoi" on the podium...

Naively, I expect candidates in a democracy to be able to mobilize some kind of following and to interact with whatever mechanisms there are to get anything done. All this guy seems to have going for him is his eyebrows, and some kind of persistence. Maybe I am misreading something about the situation, but the fact that he is running as a Green Party candidate and does not even show up on the MT Green Party website list of candidates adds to his aura of isolation.

Why else does this matter? Consider the perennial image of Greens as spoilers. This year's MT Senate race will be close under any circumstances. In my rich fantasy life, I would love for credible alternatives to the two mainstream parties or for forces that give mainstream candidates more backbone for some positions. Instead the ballot has the Libertarian Blue Boy and Mr. Green Party with the enormous eyebrows. Oddly enough, maybe humorous and harmless are the best that can be hoped for in that race.

DoreneC -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20021004/85dfc7fd/attachment.htm>