working on the Cheney gang

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 4 19:19:34 PDT 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> >>It might take a total war to get out of an
> inexorable deflation
> >>that neither monetary nor fiscal stimulation can
> reverse (if such a
> >>deflation gets underway here).
> >
> >Total war with whom? The old Axis?
> >
> >Doug
>
> The "war on terrorism" is just the thing. Even
> better than the "war
> on drugs" and the "war on crimes," you can bring the
> "war on
> terrorism" _everywhere you want to_ and keep it
> going _as long as you
> need to_, especially as social upheavals are bound
> to engulf many
> nations and bring many states down in the
> deflationary world (as they
> have already in many parts of the world), providing
> many fantastic
> pretexts and even some actually existing terrorists.
> --
> Yoshie

The implication I get from Doug's question is that War in the sense of Great War no longer fits global geopolitical coordinates. Doesn't what you, Yoshie, describe here be more accurately called police action?

"War" in this case is both a kind of blustery sloganeering and semiotic detritus.

>From _Empire_:

This kind of continual intervention, then, which is both moral and military, is really the logical form of the exercise of force that follows fromn a paradigm of legitimation based on a state of premanent exception and police action. Interventions are always exceptional even though they arise continually; they take the form of police actions because they are aimed at maintaining an internal order. In this way intervention is an effective mechanism that through police deployments contributes directly to the construction of the moral, normatice, and institutional order of Empire. (p. 38)

Alec