working on the Cheney gang

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sat Oct 5 07:50:38 PDT 2002

Michael Perelman wrote:
> >Why is everything a war. We have wars on poverty, cancer ...., perhaps
> >suggesting that the framers of our rhetoric associate anything important
> >with a war.

Typically, those who frame the rhetoric are also involved in statecraft (or a parody of it), and the State is, fundamentally, organization for and by means of war, and war is the apex of its purposes. Exhortation to any great effort, then, especially one which has no definite object in mind, is likely to include military concepts and language, often to the detriment of the effort. (For example, poverty, as defined and perceived by Americans of the 1960s, could have been eliminated only by a patient, constructive accumulation of many mostly small actions over an indefinitely long period of time, not a "war" with heroic battles and crises followed by a final, total victory.)

In this, one can observe the parasitic nature of the State and its means.

-- Gordon