church folks against war

JCWisc at aol.com JCWisc at aol.com
Sat Oct 5 09:23:52 PDT 2002

In a message dated 10/03/2002 5:53:14 PM Central Daylight Time, itschris13 at hotmail.com writes:

> Am I imagining things, or is most of the real opposition to this war coming
> from religious groups? At least there seems to be more than at any other
> time that I can remember.

Anecdotally, here in Wis., outside of Milwaukee and Madison most of the visible grassroots opposition to the war comes from religious groups. They certainly provide most of the infrastructure, i.e., meeting places. The good thing about this is that many ordinary people who would ignore or dismiss out of hand critiques of the war coming from the left will listen to similar arguments emanating from the clergy. I speak, of course, of Catholic and mainline Protestant denominations. Not many fundies around here.

Jacob Conrad