Fwd: KPFT Controversy (from Counterpunch)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 5 14:09:56 PDT 2002

[Anyone in Texas who knows more about this?]

Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 13:28:41 -0500 From: Robert Buzzanco <buzzanco at mail.uh.edu> Subject: KPFT Controversy (from Counterpunch)

Feel free to forward, post, distribute, etc. BB

<http://counterpunch.org/buzzanco1003.html>

October 4, 2002

Was This Network Worth Saving? Pacifica Caves in to Smear Campaign by ROBERT BUZZANCO

On April 17, a program titled "Jewish Voices" [JV] aired on KPFT, a Pacifica radio station in Houston, Texas. Just a few months into Pacifica's "renaissance" after a California court victory had apparently returned the network into progressive, and thus safe, hands, KPFT had aired many shows that were absent in previous years. I myself had been on several times in the first months of 2002, interviewing Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, Phyllis Bennis, Amy Goodman, Juan Gonzalez, Ed Herman, and Dan Coughlin (the Executive Director of Pacifica), to name a few. Before that, for two years I had been the co-host of "Progressive Forum," a weekly show hosted by Wally James and dedicated to covering world affairs and local politics.

[...]