A Henry Miller Moment [and, sort of, blogging]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 5 15:03:07 PDT 2002

Catherine Driscoll wrote:

> Dennis replies:
> [clip]
>
> > "Fall back, then, fall deep and fathomless into the ocean of
> > annihilation.Fall back into that bloody torpor which permits
> > idiots to be crowned as kings."
>
> This Miller too? I continue to think he needed an ecounter with the
> being-censored-does-not-mean-you-are-any-good fairy.

One problem with the Miller quote is that it is a rather banal tautology, equally true at almost any time or any place in recorded history. It's got about as much bite as "Oh that tiger scares me." It has a nice prose rhythm, but nice prose rhythms are plentiful, and can be found with less banal content.

Carrol