A Henry Miller Moment [and, sort of, blogging]

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sun Oct 6 07:02:02 PDT 2002

Carrol:
> > I think it worthwhile to distinguish between _ad hominem_ attacks and
> > merely personal attacks, and I think DP's post is an instance of the
> > latter. In my understanding, an _ad hominem_ attack tries to discredit a
> > _position_ by discrediting the source of that position. P says "X is
> > true"; P's opponent says, "P is a vile creature, therefore X is false."
> > But DP never attacks any positions in his attacks on Yoshie, me (and I
> > presume other critics of U.S. imperialism), he merely attacks us for
> > holding positions which are (from his perspective) false by definition.
> > So he's not guilty of ad hominem attacks. Gordon probably has it right.

Dennis Perrin:
> Dance all you like, Carrol. Fact remains, you support ethnic cleansing under
> the cover of "anti-imperialism."

The only way Carrol can support ethnic cleansing in this venue is by writing openly in favor of it. An attempt to draw a conclusion from something as opaque as a signature on a petition is, as I said, tedious, the vacuous stuff of mainstream election campaigns.

In the case of ethnic cleansing, both Mr. Milosevic and his opponents seem to have practiced or supported it, so support for or opposition to Milosevic is not a determinant of one's ethnic-cleansing quotient.

-- Gordon