Dzerzhinsky monument

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 6 14:06:30 PDT 2002

This is street reaction in Moscow to Mayor Luzhkov's suggestion of sticking the statue of the founder of the Cheka back in front of Lyubyanka. Surprise! Most people just don't care! (US coverage of this has been very amusing.)

The Russia Journal :: The Russia Journal :: Opinion || Articles RJ STREET POLL: What do you think about the idea of reestablishing the monument to Felix Dzerzhinsky at Lubyanskaya Pl.?

By YELENA BUSOVIKOVA / The Russia Journal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- SERGEI PESHEKHONOV, SALES MANAGER

>From the historical point of view, there is a need for the monument to
Dzerzhinsky. I am not against the idea of putting the monument back on Lubyanskaya Pl. It was a temporary, spontaneous decision to take it away from the square in the first place. Anyway, Dzerzhinsky had done a lot in Russian history, and deserves to live on in people’s minds. Of course, we don’t know all the details about his life, but nobody’s perfect.

It doesn’t matter, because I live in Dzerzhinsky town in Moscow region, and there is already a Dzerzhinsky monument in the center. If they eventually decide to return the monument to Lubyanskaya Pl., the most important thing is for it to be clean, well taken care of, and fitting to the landscape. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KARINA BADAKYAN, STUDENT

Umm, I don’t even know… I don’t really care if the monument of Dzerzhinsky is in Lubyanskaya Pl. or not. I don’t remember it being there anyway. And I don’t know much about his personality or his life as a politician. Of course, the name is familiar to me. I studied him in history class, but the existence of the monument doesn’t really matter to me. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ALEKSANDER KRAVCHENKO, TV CHANNEL EDITOR

The idea is definitely a bad one. All of his actions are embodied in the monument. Dzerzhinsky is a frightening symbol in history. This monument is going to remind people of the past. People who cannot think independently will be led to believe that they don’t have to because someone will make the decisions for them. I would place the monument in the House of Artists park where it could be a friend to pigeons; hopefully the birds could make a good nest out of it. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ANTON SKOSARENKO, COMPUTER PROGRAMMER

I feel positive about the idea because Dzerzhinsky is part of our history, and history must be reflected for generations to come. Dzerzhinsky did a great deal of good for the orphans in the Volga region and was famous for his programs to help starving people. He did a great deal of charity work in the Soviet Union. The monument needs to be placed away from the monument to Alexander II, because this family was destroyed by Dzerzhinsky’s system. There should be a sign to tell people the history of the monument and the main activities of Dzerzhinsky. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- TAMARA GVOZDEVA, PENSIONER

>From the artistic point of view, the monument is magnificent. Every detail
is perfect and the pedestal is gorgeous. I don’t mind this monument as a piece of art – as an example of Russian sculpture at Lubyanskays Pl. The personality of Dzerzhinsky, however, is questionable. It is important that we learn a lesson from the past and never repeat what he did. Not everyone creates intelligent and good things in life. He may have made mistakes, but there were rational impulses behind them.

[4 Oct 2002]

Find out more at The Russia Journal