A Henry Miller Moment [and, sort of, blogging]

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Sun Oct 6 18:51:06 PDT 2002

Gar Lipow writes:

> Dis Henry Miller all you want, but Hemingway deserves respect. He
> was I think the greatest practitioner of the poetry of concision, of
> the rhythym and emotional impact of saying a great deal in very few
> words.

Nah, I think I have to dis Ernest as well. The greatest practitioner of concise poetic writing? Um... Joyce, Woolf, even Stein or Pound though I can't like them? Jean Rhys in her best moments? Even Henry James in his modernist ones, and lord knows I never say anything complimentary about Henry James. Those British guys writing post-WWI stories about post-WWI.

> Even his macho idiocy was almost redeemed by his recognition of
> its death driven and impotent nature.

Fitzgerald with guns. Or fishing rods. Or bulls.

Catherine