filibuster

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Oct 8 11:55:15 PDT 2002

> There is also the effect of dragging this whole thing out and forcing
> the Bush administration to fight for every inch. Time is on our side
> here, in the sense that the longer it takes and more difficult we can
> make it, the more Bush erodes his own power.
>
> With more time fighting to get even flimsy support, the more unstable
> the US becomes, and the more effect this fight has on the domestic
> front. Let the economic indicators wobble their way down some more,
> let more indictments be announced, let winter heating oil prices
> climb, let the Israelis pull another new atrocity just in the nick
> of time, while we generate stalling and harassment exercises as best
> we can.

> Chuck Grimes

Well put. I wonder -- is Byrd the only Senator threatening a filibuster? Where's Wellstone? Locked in a reelection fight, I know (one he said he'd never be in, but in the end he pulled a D'Amato), but surely the Dems can do better than a rickety Byrd, whose KKK past is being brought up in certain amen corners, I notice.

DP