Bush Threatens Veto of Defense Bill

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 8 14:18:27 PDT 2002

Steven Hertzberg wrote:

>On the same day that Bush spoke to the Nation on Iraq, he threatens to
>Veto the $380B defense authorization bill that will pay for that war...
>seems Bushie doesn't want to pay for new pension benefits for disabled
>military retirees.

What a shit. I must make a public confession: he is worse than Gore, and by more than a trivial margin.

Zizek says in his Lenin book that one should only make the argument that there's no difference between the two parties (two principal parties in countries outside the U.S., like the CDU and the SDP in Germany) when the more liberal party is in office. When the rightwing party is in power, too many additional people are being damaged. I think there may be something to that.

Doug