The Corn-Fed Empire Re: Food for thought

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 8 20:39:22 PDT 2002

>Chris Doss wrote:
>
>>Americans will never be slim and wholesome unless they manage to pull off
>>a feat beyond a mere "regime change" here: the overthrow of the capitalist
>>world empire
>>
>>Now that is some serious rhetorical overkill!
>
>Why is it that people in the other imperialist countries aren't so fat? Is
>it just being top dog imperialist that produces massive corpulence?
>
>Doug

A friend from Moscow was here last month and she simply couldn't believe it. You've got overweight people in Russia, sure, but I've never seen an example of raw obesity, with the exception of oligarch Rem Vyakhirev, who is quite the capitalist pig, shall we say.

Obvious answer: The US is auto-based, no one walks. Also I think there's something of an inverted puritan attitude in overindulgence for the sake of overindulgence (Americans are the only people I know who say, for instance, that chocolate is "sinful").

In all fairness, I know some Germans who are hippo-like in their girth.

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx