US Out of Everywhere

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 9 11:21:48 PDT 2002

Changing the subject, are we, Nathan? And where did you get "no aid" and "no entanglements" out of what I said. I have been arguing for no military intervention. US foreigna id is a trickier subject. People more knowledgeable about this than I have argued that a lot of foreign aid is a giveaway to agribusiness, and certainly the US uses its miserable contribution to aid to advance some lousy agendas, such as its antiabortion policies. Nonetheless, I do not think that no foreign aid is a good idea. As to entanglements, I'm actually for 'em--nots o much military alliances, but I'd like to see the US enmeshed in multinational agreements of variosu sorts. Which ones matters. NAFTA, GATT,a nd the MAI are not models. Nonetheless, the subject here is the coming war on Iraq and the Bush doctrine more broadly. One may agree with you taht the US needs to do something more abouut AIDS in AFrica without agreeing that it doesn't matter if the US arrogates to itself the right and the power to preemptively attack everyone anywhere. jks