Bush War on Labor: ILWU Injunctions and Links for Action and Legal Background

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 9 12:14:08 PDT 2002

>BUSH DECLARES WAR ON LABOR
>
>[Original link at
>http://www.nathannewman.org/log/archives/000425.shtml#000425]
>
>Bush is officially seeking a Taft-Hartley injunction </a>in the dockworker
>lockout. See
>http://wire.ap.org/APnews/main.html?PACKAGEID=BIZlabor1&SLUG=PORT%2dLABOR
>
>Here are some actions you can take in support of the dockworkers:
>**Go to http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/ilwu2/bksb2zkwt to send a
>message to retailers who have promoted the injunction
>** See ILWU's http://www.ilwu.org for their activist toolkit of sample
>support letters and resolutions.
>
>To understand why issuing an injunction will be seen as an act of war by
>unions...

Is it?

(a) Injunction is issued. (b) Dockworkers go back to work. (c) Shippers pay dockworkers. (d) Dockworkers continue to work-to-rule--as they were doing before the lockout. (e) Not all that much cargo is moved--so shippers have a big incentive to settle: they're paying out wages and getting little in return.

What am I missing? It seemed to me that Bush's injunction is actually going an offensive move against the shippers. But I may well be out of my depth here...

Brad