"Workers are fed up"

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Oct 10 07:56:22 PDT 2002

> from http://bari.iww.org/~bsheppard/fedup.html
>
> Workers are fed up
> by Jon Bekken
>
> Nearly three-fourths of U.S. workers now believe
> rank-and-file workers should be represented on corporate
> boards, and 58 percent say workers need unions in order to
> protect their interests.
>
> The poll results indicate a "high level of mistrust, anxiety
> and frustration ... that can be felt in every assembly line
> and cubicle throughout America," Employment Law Alliance
> chief Stephen Hirschfeld told the _Washington Post_. The
> survey was commissioned by the ELA, an association of
> union-busting attorneys. Hirschfeld warned employers that
> they need to respond to workers' concerns if they hope to
> head off union organization drives.

Yeah, yeah. The cost of health care, taxes, and gasoline prices are bound to go up quite dramatic too. So what? After Bush goes to Iraq, the American working class will have their opportunity to wave the flag, vicariously kick the butt, and feel good about themselves again - forgetting about Enron, union busting, shrking pensions and raising health cost. They will be ready to vote for Bush in 2004. I already see that most flags and God bless Amerika stickers in this area (Bmore and Central PA) are mounted on pickup trucks driven by construction-worker types.

Wojtek