Bush War on Labor: ILWU Injunctions and Links for Action and Legal Background

alex lantsberg wideye at ziplink.net
Thu Oct 10 09:25:29 PDT 2002

my point wasn't a question of whether the safety rules were a contract sticking point, but whether the worker's strict compliance with safe procedures with the presence of state OSHAs on the docks would be a viable unspoken tactic to engage in during the T-H period.

and no, its employees' adherence to safety rules. its clear that the employers want the workers to proceed in a hasty and rushed manner to maximize throughput. the workers are taking it upon themselves to maintain compliance with their contract and the law.

alex

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Brian O. Sheppard x349393 Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 6:02 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: Bush War on Labor: ILWU Injunctions and Links for Action and Legal Background

You mean the *employers'* adherence to safety rules, right? ILWU spokesman Steve Stallone has never admitted that the workers were engaged in a slowdown, but did admit workers were working "carefully" in light of the fact that 5 dock workers have died during the past year due to unsafe working conditions. It's not legally prudent to admit to a slowdown anyway, though I and many others think a slowdown was certainly justified given the PMA's bad faith attitude (i.e. union busting attitude) after the ILWU contract with the PMA expired on July 1.

The safety issue doesn't seem to be the most important for the ILWU right now. A strong union contract that demanded safety pecautions could take care of these concerns. The ILWU's main concern is still about the union status of new hires that could be brought in with the new technology the PMA wants to introduce; the ILWU is NOT necessearily against new technology - just against non-ILWU laborers working with any new technology the PMA bosses want to introduce.

Brian

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, alex lantsberg wrote:

> i heard on david bacon's KPFA segment that the ILWU is trying to get
CalOSHA

--

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid." - Friedrich Nietzsche