Demonstration to Stop the WAR (Fri., Oct. 11)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 10 09:51:22 PDT 2002

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>That balance willstart to tip only if their _personal_ cost/benefit
>balance of supporting the war will be outweighed by that of opposing it

Heavens, Woj, you have the most cynical view of your fellow humans that I've come across in some time. Do you think we all live our lives according to what Keynes called the Benthamite contraption, busily rank-ordering our tastes and preferences and self-interests and hang the rest? Is there no room for human sympathy or solidarity in your world? If I thought life was this irredeemably dark, I'd jump off the Brooklyn Bridge.

Doug