Corn fed empire

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 10 09:35:04 PDT 2002

>The answer is 'smash reformism.' Now, what was the question?
>
>I occasionally get leftists who tell me we can't have universal health care
>in the U.S. *until capitalism is overthrown.* I point out all the capitalist
>countries that have it (in the OECD it's Turkey, Mexico, and the U.S. which
>don't) then I brace for the argument that the banks and insurance companies
>here are all interlocked and you're really attacking big capital (a worthy
>response)... instead they mumble something about 'who wants to deal with
>western medicine anyway' and wander off. Or they give the elitist line,
>Americans will never go for that, they're too brainwashed/stupid/bought off
>etc.
>
>Those who want health care, meanwhile--not just as a political theory but for
>themselves--perk up and ask good questions, happily unaware that there are
>unfulfilled historic preconditions.
>
>Jenny Brown

Why do you think we don't have what "all the capitalist countries" have? What's the difference? How did the "shadow welfare state" come about here, rather than social democracy, and how do we overcome it? What answers do you give to good questions asked by those who want health care?

***** EMBARGOED UNTIL: 12:01 A.M. EDT, SEPTEMBER 30, 2002 (MONDAY) Mike Bergman CB02-127 Public Information Office *REVISED* (301) 763-3030/457-3670 (fax) (301) 457-1037 (TDD) e-mail: pio at census.gov Quotes & radio sound bites

Health Insurance in America

Numbers of Americans With and Without Health Insurance Rise, Census Bureau Reports

The number of people with health insurance rose by 1.2 million between 2000 and 2001, to 240.9 million, but at the same time the number of uninsured rose by 1.4 million, to 41.2 million, the Commerce Department's Census Bureau reported today.

Meanwhile, an estimated 14.6 percent of the population had no health insurance coverage during all of 2001, up from 14.2 percent in 2000.

"The percentage of people covered by employment-based health insurance dropped a point, to 62.6 percent in 2001," said Robert Mills, author of Health Insurance Coverage: 2001. "That was the principal cause of the overall decrease in health insurance coverage."...

<http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/2002/cb02-127.html> *****

The picture is getting worse yet, not because of "Trotskyist"/"Marxist"/whatever rhetoric on health care, as you know. Don't you guys have more important enemies to confront than left-wingers whose voices you would rather not hear? -- Yoshie