abortion

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 10 20:12:56 PDT 2002

>At 03:02 PM 10/10/2002 -0400, Dennis wrote:
> >Oh, by the way, though I am pro-choice, I am anti-abortion. A living
thing
> >_is_ snuffed out. And that stat from Russia is quite disturbing if true.

Oh it's true. It causes a lot of damage to women's bodies, and is a contributing factor to 10% of Russian couples being infertile. Also of course in theory the reliance on abortion could fuel on AIDS crisis, though so far 95% of HIV infections in Russia are through IV drug use.

I would say things are changing, at least among younger people. The gov. has an MTV-style anti-HIV spot on Moscow TV, probably elsewhere in Russia, which features admonitions to use condoms, though the focus is (naturally) on IV drug use. There's also public-education stuff posted on the metro, and the anti-abortion crazies have made it to Russia in a small way judging by the propaganda I see plastered here and there.

If I were the Russian government, I would pass out condoms on the street.