abortion

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 11 07:37:05 PDT 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> I'm concerned about logic, not logistics. I'm saying that it's not
> logical for anyone to consider a fetus to be a baby without
> advocating putting women and abortion-providers behind bars, unless
> he is also saying that genocide is OK.

Correct. In other words, the position of those who (a) defend "choice" but (b) claim the fetus has moral rights is utterly incoherent. Dennis et al are in effect saying that while they believe abortion is murder they will approve of murder because it's just too difficult to stop it.

The first time this topic came up on the original Spoons marxism list, the late Lisa Rogers summed up her position as "In a jar, daddio, in a jar." She and I crossed swords on something or other just before she died, but she was a militant defender of human dignity and I have missed her both for our agreements and for out differences. Her positions, right or wrong, were always expressed vigorously and in a princpled fashion.

Carrol