abortion

Barry Deutsch itsbarry at attbi.com
Fri Oct 11 08:47:21 PDT 2002

From: "Dennis Perrin" <dperrin at comcast.net>

> Is it? Does the mindset of the "host" make the fetus less human? If you
> don't touch it, and if there are no complications, it will become a full
> person.

As long as I'm quoting Judith Thomson today....

"To be sure, if a fertilized egg is allowed to develop normally the resulting child will have wants, hopes, and fears, and thus will have interests, and it will then have rights. But this does not show that fertilized eggs have rights. Things can lack rights at one time and acquire them later. If children are allowed to develop normally they will have a right to vote; that does not show that they now have a right to vote. To show that a fertilized human egg now has rights one needs to produce some fact about its present, not its future."

Barry