abortion

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 11 12:22:07 PDT 2002

You're wrong about the Christian history, Doug -- which 19th century pope did you have in mind? -- and surely no one on the left can take the fact that a position is held by a group that's "pretty tiny" as evidence of its incorrectness...

I would say that in my experience the "seamless garment crowd" is not "generally reactionary anti-feminist individuals" but people (mostly women) of left and left-liberal persuasion. (I'll include their statement below.) And I'm willing to submit the question of the extension of the notion of humanity to the judgment of history: "We have been naught, we shall be all." Regards, CGE

http://www.seamless-garment.org/index.html

"We are committed to the protection of life, which is threatened in today's world by war, the arms race, abortion, poverty, racism, capital punishment, and euthanasia. We believe that these issues are linked under a 'consistent ethic of life'. We challenge those working on all or some of these issues to maintain a cooperative spirit of peace, reconciliation, and respect in protecting the unprotected."