Bush admin pulling visas of Marxist intellectuals

Bradford DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Oct 11 16:03:26 PDT 2002

>[This is from the excellent Turkish political economist Sungur
>Savran, who's been a guest on my radio show twice. Please spread far
>& wide.]
>
>Dear Friends,
>
>This is a circular letter aiming to warn friends living in the US
>about the treatment meted out to Dr.Haluk Gerger, one of the
>foremost Marxist intellectuals and human rights activists of Turkey,
>by the Bush administration and the INS. This incident is even graver
>than that experienced by Tariq Ali at the beginning of this year as
>he was flying out of Germany, since as I will shortly explain, this
>was methodical and deliberate whereas in Tariq Ali's case a lot of
>bureaucratic stupidity and overshooting was involved. Hence it is
>clear proof that, in its attack on civil liberties, first and
>foremost those of aliens, the Bush administration targets not only
>so-called Islamic terrorists...

He does realize that use of the phrase "so-called Islamic terrorists" makes me and everybody to my right stop reading immediately?

If not, someone should clue him in...

Brad DeLong