Decline of American Power?

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Sat Oct 12 08:21:45 PDT 2002

Chris Beggy wrote:

> The current government may kill finance capital before it has a chance

> to mend its ways and help repair manufacturing and social capital.

An unusual rant. If I remember correctly, you're into Hardt-Negri, right? Is this neo-SaintSimonism? Non-national non-located investment bankers planning the global economy, primarily in the interest of the largest (and poorest) segment of the world population? The idea has an interesting history (the Pereire brothers), but in practice can't think of an instance where finance capital in fact acted on behalf of the largest (and poorest) segment of the population instead of the usual swine segment.

Or perhaps it's descriptive of their current distressed state of mind. If that's the case, is neoSaintSimonism an alternate and potentially antisystemic - that is, to the US empire system - ideology available to them? Has it surfaced? NeoSaintSimonian Yankees vs. the petroleorealistimperial Cowboys?

john mage