Abortion, Russia, birthrate

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Oct 12 13:49:08 PDT 2002

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, Chris Doss quotes an article in Profil saying:

> Evidently this figure would have been greater, if it were not for
> abortions - two abortions per one childbirth.

Okay, fwiw, by my back of the envelope and out of my butt calculations, that's four times the rate of the US.

fwiw, my exceedingly rough guesswork went like this:

1. The US has a rate of 21 abortions per 1000 women of childbearing age (according to the original article)

2. The US has a birthrate of 15 per 1000 people (googled at random)

3. That'd be roughly 30 births per 1000 females.

4. If a third of all females are not of child bearing age, that'd be roughly 30 births per 666 women of women of child bearing age, or 45 births per 1000 women of child bearing age. Compared to 21 abortions for the same group.

5. So that'd be a little more than 2 births per abortion per year, where Russia has 2 abortions per birth per year.

Michael