interview questions?

Jeet Heer jeet at sturdynet.com
Sat Oct 12 18:56:45 PDT 2002

If I had a few minutes with Tariq Ali I'd ask him about the recent Pakistani elections. In Clash of Fundamentalisms Ali makes a big ta-do about how (relatively) secular Pakistan is; yet clerical forces did quite well in the election. Is this just fallout from the War on Terrorism, or part of a larger trend.

For Chomsky I'd asking him if 9-11 has had any impact on his thinking about the state. As a left-libertarian, Chomsky usually blames most of the ills of the world on hierarachal top-down organizations, usually nation-states. Yet Al-Quida is a de-centeralized NGO and Afghanistan shows what can happen when the state collapses, with small groups of thugs seizing power.