"Workers are fed up"

Dddddd0814 at aol.com Dddddd0814 at aol.com
Sun Oct 13 12:29:56 PDT 2002

"I don't disagree the AFL-CIO has more resources. Way more resources. But that also comes with its own problems, as you, with your repeated calls for some kind of "post unionism" must also realize. At least you referred your friend to a real union and not to some gost of a "post leftist post-union," which you have repeatedly argued for on the list. In short, there obviously needs to be som kind of radical labor - revolutionary labor - alternative to the AFL-CIO. I'm all ears. What are your thoughts?"

I disagree with the "obvious" part of this assertion. What *is* obvious is that the AFL-CIO is a corrupt bureaucracy, representatives of the Democratic Party within labor rather than vice-versa. But, it is the hallmark of sectarian leftism to state that workers should abandon a large union to form some splinter sect of the little that remains of actual workers organizations with actual workers in them. You might as well ask workers to burn their union dues which they've worked for years and years to contribute. Rather, in order to advance the workers' movement in the U.S., the rank and file needs to be agitating and organizing within these corrupted unions from within, electing out the bureaucratic officials with a radical leadership not beholden to the Democratic Party. The old officials will then have their capitalist sympathies exposed for everyone to see, so they can be humiliated and ostracized in whatever manner the workers deem appropriate.

Not to say that this wouldn't be a challenge....

-- d