Labor Party (was: Bush Threatens Veto...)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 14 13:30:09 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >This is the point that has bothered me most since I first heard the
> >proposal for a Labor Party about 10+/- years or so ago in an address
> >Tony Mazzocchi gave at a plenary of an early Radical Scholars and
> >Activists conference in Chicago. There is simply too sharp a split -- a
> >split that tends to be antagonistic even -- between "organized labor"
> >and the vast majority of the u.s. working class.
>
> So what's your approach?

Everyone keeps working away in their own localities, and when a direction emerges (as it does every 30 to 50 years) try to coalesce to relate to it.

I have no crystal ball. How many mass movements (that seemed both to their participants and to us looking bnackward to be potentially much more) were there in the 20th c.? What created them? Why was that generating source inadequate to confront capitalism?

Carrol