American Prospect "crackup" according to Kaus

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Oct 14 16:23:02 PDT 2002

Hmm-- well not that I consider Kaus an accurate source on the American Prospect, but found this item interesting in light of my recent question about TAPPED's politics:

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2072312 Kaus- Die TAPperdammerung: This late-breaking news on the continuing American Prospect crackup. ... Kausfiles hears that 1) The Prospect board is planning to announce Wednesday that the now-biweekly liberal magazine (into which a Bill Moyers-run foundation has poured lots of money) will publish less frequently, either monthly or only ten times per year; 2) "Tapped," the much admired TAP blog, is as-rumored slated for extinction, the victim of editor Robert Kuttner's instinctive urge to squash anything interesting. ... It seems "Tapped" strayed from Kuttnerian dogma on occasion, and even favorably cited the blog of a Kuttner critic, ex-TAP employee Josh Marshall! ...The TAP staff apparently doesn't know about these developments yet. It's not clear that even Moyers knows about them. But kausfiles do! ... 12:05 A.M.