Stopping the War, this week's assignment

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Oct 15 13:44:55 PDT 2002

Ok since I posted that UN petition I have recieved this info which gives some direct contacts for raising objections to Bush's war. Marta

= = = Subj: Stopping the War: This week's assignment Date: 10/14/2002 2:35:44 PM Pacific Standard Time From: dkoff at pacbell.net (david koff) To: dkoff at pacbell.net (activism)

Friends & Family,

During the past week, many of you probably watched or heard some of the debates on the floor of the House and Senate. It was a sad week for those of us who like to think that our government truly represents the will and opinions of the people.

This week's assignment focuses on finding happiness despite the situation and finding things that you can do RIGHT NOW to help assure that your voices are continuing to be heard.

#1) Trust that peace will prevail. It might look dark right now, it might be dark for a while, but peace will prevail.

#2) STOP SENDING OUT THE PETITION THAT GETS SENT INTO THE UNITED NATIONS. Many of you have received this petition. It's circulating widely.

The problem? The e-mail address on the petition goes to an office that can't really help the cause. (Check their website for the warning <http://unicwash.org/>.) Not only is the e-mail address incorrect but it's also FAR MORE EFFECTIVE to generate 500 e-mails than to list 500 names on just ONE e-mail.

#3) CONTACT THE UNITED STATES' UN SECURITY COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVE.

His name is John D. Negroponte (yeah, yeah, don't laugh...). Faxes and e-mails are much better than your phone calls.

Press and Public Affairs Section United States Mission to the United Nations 799 UN Plaza New York, N.Y. 10017-3505

Phone: 212-415-4050 Fax: 212-415-4053 Email: usa at un.int Web: <http://www.un.int/usa/press.htm>

Tell Mr. Negroponte that, as a US citizen you do not support:

+ pre-emptive strikes on Iraq + acting without the world's FULL support of any military action + using military violence before FIRST demanding that all non-violent avenues are explored

#4) Contact the three biggest countries on the United Nations Security Council that DO NOT agree with our violent and bullying approach. These countries are China, Russia and France. Recently, these countries have been opposing our intentions quite strongly <http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/09/29/1033283388011.html>.

Ask every friend you have to to contact THESE people and tell them to continue NOT supporting the US in its use of pre-emptive unilateral force. CALL THEM. TELL THEM. Tell them that you support THEIR resistance to the United States trying to push through any immoral and unethical UN Resolution that grants the United States to act with pre-emptive force for the first time in our history. Do not be lazy and wait for others to do this. Time is of the essence. Call them, tell them NOT to support the use of force and tell them that you are a US citizen.

Please note: each office has told me that a FAX or an E-MAIL is far more potent than any phone call.

China:

Permanent Representative Wang Yingfan 350 East 35th Street, New York, NY 10016 Phone: 212-655-6100 Fax: 212-634-7626 E-mail: chinamission_un at fmprc.gov.cn http://www.china-un.org/eng/premade/34561/Contact_the_Mission.htm

FYI: as of this morning, the Ambassador (Permanent Representative) is out of the country until the 23rd of October but you can still call, write or fax.

France:

Permanent Representative S.E M.Jean-David LEVITTE Main Fax : (212) 421-6889 E-mail: france at un.int http://www.un.int/france/sc2001/frame_anglais/accueil/liste_mission.htm

Russia:

H.E. Mr. Sergey Lavrov - Permanent Representative 136 East 67 Street, New York, N.Y. 10021 Phone: (212) 861-4900 Fax: (212) 628-0252 email: rusun at un.int http://www.un.int/russia/prsdncsc/prsdncsc.htm#english

#5) Do something you love today. It is our responsibility in times of crisis and uncertainty to continue to enjoy and celebrate life.

Read a book. Go see a movie. Play with your cats. Call your grandparent. Just find a way to connect and enjoy.

My love,

David -- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.disweb.org -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20021015/85eba85c/attachment.htm>