Bali Bombings (Australian reactions)

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 16 04:27:17 PDT 2002

Doug:

I can only agree with Thiago on this. Because of the parochial dimension(s), it rivals 9-11.

Judging by a relayed US radio report I heard yesterday, it's difficult for outsiders to appreciate the unusual place of -- and affection for -- group holidays in Bali, within Australian popular culture. Like (e.g.) Germans, Australian wage earners love overseas travel and are well-paid enough to do it. And, partly because of the weird/cartel pricing of air travel here, since the early 1970s at least it's been cheaper to fly to Indonesia from here (Perth) than it is to go to Sydney, Melbourne or the Australian tropics. Also -- mostly because of the relaxed nature of Balinese culture -- other parts of Indonesia don't come close in popularity. Tens of thousands of Aussies go to Bali in any given year. I mean, for example, there have even been hit songs about this.

By design or accident, the bombers chose a time of year when southern Australia is still thawing out post winter and a significant minority are taking ritual family or group holidays in Bali, especially surfers and football clubs (marking the end of their season). For example, a suburban amateur football club from Perth is believed to have lost eight or nine members. Major league football stars were in injured and/or almost killed. Some cornerstones of local popular culture have taken a big hit.

Add to this that the symbiotic relationship between Balinese and Australians has always been tangled up with Aussies' generally limited knowledge of Indonesian cultures and issues and the standard issue -- at least moderate -- condescension of people from developed societies. Judging by my own family and workmates, a wide and contradictory variety of reactions are beginning to be expressed. Perhaps surprisingly, there is at least an undercurrent of suspicion in regard to the official line about links to al Qaeda etc.

Regards,

Grant.