Gun control vs. surveillance

Matt lbo at beyondzero.net
Wed Oct 16 12:09:15 PDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 05:07:52PM +0000, Carl Remick wrote:
> [I've been surprised that the Washington, DC-area sniper hasn't prompted
> another discussion of gun control on this list. Or maybe, the tedious
> predictability of how that discussion would play out has discouraged people
> from raising this issue yet again. But I think there is something new in
> the equation now: If gun control isn't significantly strengthened, I think
> it's a certainty there will be vastly increased use of constant TV
> surveillance of roads and all other public areas. Isn't stricter gun
> control preferable to that?]

If ever the argument that gun-control of the kind most commonly proposed would do NOTHING to prevent the deaths is true, this would be the case. See below.

> NY Press
> I?m with Ashcroft
> By Michelangelo Signorile

[...]

> I?m not calling for taking away this right, mind you, so hunters need not,
> um, shoot me. I?m just suggesting banning the sale of, oh, say, sniper
> rifles and "military style" assault rifles like the one the Beltway sniper
> is suspected of using, as well the .223 ammunition (confirmed as having
> been used by the sniper) that shatters inside its target?s body, doing
> deadly damage.

This is ignorant. The distinctions between "sniper rifles" and hunting rifles are all spin. Well hinting rifles are usually made of wood and "sniper rifles" might be a composite stock. But that doesn't make one any less deadly than the other, despite how much more frightening one may appear.

Most snipers/hunters prefer larger calibre ammunition anyway, something in the .30 (7.62mm) calibre. .223 (5.56mm) is not used to snipe because it is a light round easily susceptible to being sent off target by foliage or wind. The DC area sniper probably chose .223 because there are so many manufacturers that it would be harder to track sales, not that it is more deadly since it "shatters".

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588

yahoo msg: beyondzero123 I cut my nails to the quick but still I was caught with my hand in the till red-handed.

-Fugazi