Krugman sees new Gilded Age

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 17 07:02:17 PDT 2002

[Thought I'd post this nugget from Slate about an upcoming Paul Krugman article in the NY Times magazine. As Doug noted yesterday, Oct. 16 (in an LBO post I received today) Hotmail is massively fucked up currently resulting in extensive email delays. The problem seems to be worsening so perhaps this post will hit the list about the time Krugman's article hits the stands. I wonder whether Krugman's actual article will be less stupid than it sounds from this summary.]

Slate.com

Living in a Gilded Age By Holly Bailey, Joshua Foer, Sian Gibby, David Plotz, and Kate Taylor Updated Wednesday, October 16, 2002, at 1:53 PM PT

New York Times Magazine, Oct. 20 In Part 1 of a two-part piece on social class, Times columnist Paul Krugman says we've entered a new Gilded Age, in which the rich again wield as much wealth and power as they did in Gatsby's time. In the 1980s, the experts looked for economic explanations for the increase in inequality. Now there's a growing consensus that the change was cultural: a new "permissiveness" that condoned huge executive compensation packages.

<http://www.slate.msn.com/?id=2072317>

Carl Not-So-Hotmail.com

_________________________________________________________________ Internet access plans that fit your lifestyle -- join MSN. http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp