Towards a More Sex-Positive -- And More Relevant -- Left

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Oct 17 07:32:41 PDT 2002

>And I won't begin to mention the numerous anti-abortion leftists who appear
on this list from time to time. (In my personal view, the centerpiece of anti-abortion activism (whether left or right) isn't about protecting the fetus; it's controlling women and their sexuality; it's no surprise that most "pro-life" leftists also happen to be staunchly sex-negative and erotophobic.)

> Anthony

Well, I'm anti-abortion, though pro-choice, and I've gone to great lengths in my personal and at times professional life to defend pornography and eroticism (indeed, I had a commissioned piece rejected by Nerve on the grounds that it wasn't "sensitive" enough, i.e., it celebrated, in what I thought was a humorous way, rougher aspects of personal gratification). So the above boilerplate is made of day-old horseshit, as knee-jerk as any Dworkinite knob ripping apart a Penthouse in the twisted belief that it is a "radical" act. Human sexuality can never be pinned down and accurately defined any more than water can be nailed to a door. And this thread, one of the duller ones of late (save for Liza's and Kelley's input), is another example of ideologues trying to paste a PC name on something ultimately unnamable.

DP