A new Korean War?

Thu Oct 17 22:24:35 PDT 2002

I understand some Lawmakers are complaining that the administration waited 2-weeks to disclose the information about N. Korea..... they say that they would have voted differently on Iraq had they about N. Korea BEFORE they VOTED.

Steven

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com] On Behalf Of Jim Farmelant Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 4:33 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: A new Korean War?

> Why announce this now? Doesn't the timing of this seem odd?
>
> Steven

The impression that I have been getting from the evening news broadcasts is that the Bush Administration only announced this with the greatest of reluctance, since they were said to fear that this might derail their plans for invading Iraq.

If North Korea has the bomb, that ultimately has to impact the US strategic policy in regards to Korea, (the US having many thousands of troops stationed in South Korea) as well as Japan, since this means that North Korea may well be on the way to fashioning an effective deterrent to attacks by US forces. That in turn, should over the long run give encouragement to other small countries for acquiring their own nuclear weapons as well, as a deterrent against attack by the number one "rogue state" - namely the United States - which has arrogated to itself the right to force "regime changes" on to any country that it deems as requiring them.

Jim F.