Another Anti-American Subversives List

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 18 08:38:29 PDT 2002

Ted Winslow wrote:

> What is the neurological basis of neuroscience?

I don't quite understand this question; on the surface it sounds like "What is the biological basis of biology?" but I have yet to see a trivial tautology from Ted so I imagine it means something else.

Thinking incidentally makes physical changes in the brain. And those who suffer from hyperactivity have less volume of white matter. Those who are treated with stimulants (a treatment which _does_ have negative side effects) have less "loss" of white matter than those who are not so treated. And I highly recommend Sharon Begley's column in the Oct. 11 WSJ. Practicing five-finger exercises brings about physical changes in the brain. (This is related to the fact that working crossword puzzles can delay the progress of Alzheimers.) But simply practicing those movements in the head (imagining the fingers are going through the motions) has the _same_ physical effects. (I've misplaced my copy of the column and am writing this from memory, so it's probably misleading.)

Carrol