Hitch on Hardball

RE earnest at tallynet.com
Fri Oct 18 11:37:49 PDT 2002

Hitchens swings wildly along the humanitarian/Progress continuum. At one end he's willing to advocate military intervention to aid threatened groups, as in Kurdistan, Bosnia, East Timor, and those writings were good. The other involves a "That's progress, folks!" mode, and then his analysis of imperialism flops. I first noticed this several years ago in a Nation column when he dismissed Native American claims against the feds as ridiculous, saying something like, "that's history, people get conquered. Live with it," and sought support in Marx's writings on British imperialism and Indian society. Having decided that the enemy is "Islamic fascism," and bourgeois democracy must be defended, he inclines to critical support of the US and necessarily becomes more tolerant of collateral damage and oil grabbing. I'm puzzled, though, by his seeming to blow off the UN. Does he see them as Osama-huggers? Randy