They Shoot Horses Don't They?

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri Oct 18 12:14:42 PDT 2002

I don't know how many of you caught the movie "They Shoot Horses Don't They?" -- based on the Carson McCullers story. It featured a great cast and was set at a depression-era dance marathon. So, maybe we're not in a depression yet, but you wouldn't know it by the mushrooming "reality" shows. For example, the following.

Joanna __________________________________________________

Who Wants to Be Employed?

By Jennifer C. Berkshire, AlterNet

October 15, 2002

Out of work or afraid that you might soon be? Not to worry. Americans

may soon be able to compete for jobs the old fashioned way: on a reality

TV show.

It's no joke. In the latest addition to the reality genre, contestants will go

head to head for a chance at that increasingly scarce commodity,

employment. Potential candidates will place ads with an employment

agency, then undergo tests and on-the-job training. Finally, the two

applicants deemed most qualified by the agency will subject themselves to

the ultimate job interview: viewer approval. The candidate with the most viewer votes gets the job; the loser will be sent packing: "You are

unemployed -- goodbye!"

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14283